18 May 2010

A recipe...Yippeee!

I hope I don't get in trouble for this because it is not, I repeat, is not my recipe. My super talented chef sister in law made it up and passed it along. It's so delicious, as well as gluten free. You can make it vegan and raw by omitting the chicken, but we like us some meat around here ;) We don't really have picky eaters anymore in this household, but I did think the kids might not love it so when I made the chicken I left a little out for them. I served them the chicken with some basmati rice and gave them the salad on the side. They surprisingly ate it! So here ya go....

Asian Chicken Salad by Celeste Vaught



1 bag of brocoslaw (I got mine from Whole Foods)
carrots, red/yellow/orange/green peppers julienne cut (use any ones you like)
celery diagonally cut
green onions
sugar snap peas 1/2" diagonally cut
cashews (I used raw organic)
water chestnuts (optional-bleh)
cucumber julienne cut (optional, but yummy)
Asian sesame dressing (below)
cooked chopped chicken
cilantro (out of our herb garden)
fresh minced ginger
fresh minced garlic
gluten free soy sauce

Put about 1-2 T of cooking oil in a skillet and heat to a medium heat. Place the chicken in the skillet. Sprinkle with soy sauce, minced garlic, minced fresh ginger and brown for a few minutes & turn. When cooked, put a lid on it and set aside.

Mix veggies in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and chop up cooked chicken and toss into salad. Then add the cashews and chopped cilantro.

To make the dressing:

2 T brown sugar
2 tsp. gluten free soy sauce
1 T sesame oil
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 T rice vinegar
1 T sesame seeds toasted

(I doubled the ingredients to have enough for the salad)

Mix everything together and there you have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment